Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Patient Care vs. Provider Demands

Today was one of those frustrating days. I had a bad health day today and then I had to use what little energy I had to argue the finer points of care with my home health provider. Nothing frustrates me more than paying someone to do a job (and I am talking a premium rate) and having them tell me they can only provide that service when it is best for them. I am probably the least demanding patient and try to be polite and kind but it always irritates me when I encounter this issue.Today my nurse wanted to come to do my IV when it was a bad time for me, I have a little one and there would be no one to help me with him while I am hooked to the machine. They have also gotten to the point where they only want to start the infusion and then leave it to use to change bags and finish the flush. I don't mind having to finish the job, but I also expect that if I am making things easier for them they can at least make things easier for me. Then when she gets here it is miserable the whole time. She is in a bad mood and determined to make me understand that I am the cause of her problems today. Again I am paying her not the other way around and I expect at the very least civility.

I have decided to call the doctor tomorrow and explain that this situation is becoming more regular and that I do not feel the need to expend what little energy I have fighting for a good standard of care. I also don't want to pay someone to be here caring for me when they obviously have better things to do, I would rather give that money to someone who needs the job. So I think tomorrow I will request a different company and tell the doctor I need a different standard of care.

Today was a rough health day and then the stress of dealing with the problems has worn me out. I think I will end up in bed early. Tomorrow will be a better day. I hold on to that hope anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment