Tuesday, September 13, 2011

New Day - Fresh Start

I have sat down to write a post several times and then I get stuck on what I want to write about so I stop.

New Developments: My PICC line was clogged over the weekend. I called the home health on call nurse to ask her to come out and take a look at so it would not clog totally. Her response, "I will just go ahead and tell you that I won't be able to come for a while I have stuff to do." She suggested a few things to try, none of them worked. I called her back and told her it was still clogged and we were not able to run any fluids through the line. Her response was, "Well I have told you all I know to try I don't know what to tell you. I don't know any more than you do."

We ended up going to the ER and the PICC team took care of the line. That night it got stuck again. I called again, and the on call person (someone else) said, "well you will just have to call your doctor on Monday" I reminded her I hadn't had any fluids in a few days and I am supposed to get them every other day so she said she would send someone out to start a peripheral IV the next day. The nurse who came out was sweet and tried a few times to start a line, but no surprise, my veins were not able to accept anything because I was dehydrated. She left without getting a line in and said to just call the doctor.

I called the doctor and they called the PICC team. The girl there said she thought it just needed a good hard flush. She asked why home health would not work on it, and I of course have no idea. She decided to call them to get some answers. She told them that if the line was occluded then they would change the line, but they needed them to come out first to check the line and that she would walk through the procedure for assessment and getting the line flushed if possible. The supervisor said that since I wasn't scheduled they would not send anyone else out. The PICC girl called my doctor to advise them about the response of home health. The doctor called and got the same response except this time it must have been worse. After that conversation, my doctor's office called and said that they would have the PICC team in their office (to save me the $250 outpatient charge) and that I should come in, they were also changing the home health service that day.

I had to call and tell them that I needed them to release everything to the new agency. They said, "Well is there a problem?" I shall refrain from comment. After that conversation, they called 15 minutes later to say they were sending someone out to collect their notebook. Hmmmm...again I will keep the comment to myself. I went to the doctor and they got my line fixed, gave me some education on what to do on my own to keep it from becoming occluded again. I talked to the new agency today and apparently the doctor had filled them in on all that has happened. They are ready to come by tomorrow and get started. I am looking forward to stress free care.

Health issues: Still getting sick and having killer reflux. I am now taking prescription meds for the reflux. I am really tired like I was in the beginning of the pregnancy. I am seeing flashing/floaters which worries me, but so far no protein. That is good news.

Side note: My friend is also pregnant, she is 27 weeks. She has had a rough time, not with HG but with high blood pressure. She is now in the hospital and they diagnosed a 3mm aneurysm in her brain. Prayers for her and the baby are much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment